Drone Software Development Engineer
(Full-time, partially remote role (Essex, UK office) with potential international travels)
Airial Robotics overview
Airial Robotics is a tech orientated company positioned for the global small UAV market. The mission of Airial Robotics is to provide a new generation of commercial drones using disruptive technologies, providing clear and visible improvements for pressing performance orientated challenges for these operations. Our guidelines are to provide solutions for products, services and support as state-of-the-art solutions. Our platform is designed to exceed current industry standards in terms of flight time, payloads, range, speed and efficiency, paired with the flexibility of a highly modular system architecture, for airframe and software, in order to adapt to different tasks and mission requirements. It is our company objective to offer safety and reliability at all levels of commercial UAV operation. Airial Robotics is committed to rethinking every aspect of today’s UAV products to develop and achieve better solutions using advanced methods and technologies.
We have an exciting role for a drone software or controls engineer to join our development team.
Software development is at the forefront of any UAV development and is essential to reach the maximum potential of an airframe. Our distruptive Gyrotrak and Cargotrak aircraft have highly unique and complex flight dynamics that challenges our development team every day and requires an open minded and innovative approach. Whether developing novel flight controls, intelligent automatic failsafe programs or advanced system level communications, you will need all your resourcefulness to be a pioneer of this new technology.
Responsibilities will include:
- Development and maintenance of our unique part of the PX4 flight control software.
- Development and maintenance of our CAN adapter drivers in the PX4 software to optimize the communication between the system and the autopilot.
- Software integration of various payloads, sensors, and avionics to the autopilot in PX4 environment.
- Integration of off-the-shelf GCS software and other API based systems to the autopilot.
- Development and maintenance of applications, guidance, and automatic programs for the on-board mission computer enabling advanced operational use cases.
- Ideally: Work with the electronics department on the development and maintenance of the firmware running on the drone’s main PCB and the smart battery BMS.
- Take active part in the flight-testing program of novel features in the autopilot or of integration projects.
- Management of your own tasks and projects, you must be highly self-sufficient.
- Documentation of your work to a professional standard in English.
- Report to the Development Manager.
We are looking for
We are seeking a highly motivated, bright, and hard-working individual with a keen eye for detail an ability to challenge the status quo with new approaches to how automatic UAVs should operate. A lot of our team is in various offices in the UK, Europe and the USA, so you must be comfortable to work remotely with others, must be a pro-active self-starter who desires excellence and achievement. We are looking for:
- A degree in controls systems engineering, software development, aerospace engineering or similar.
- Expertise in programming autopilots and unmanned systems (ideally drones).
- Programming background of PX4 and a good understanding of the PX4 infrastructure.
- Integration experience in the Mavlink protocol.
- Programming experience in C/C++ is desired.
- Working experience using GitHub and Linux.
- Deep understanding and experience in tuning PID control loops is desired.
- Proven track record in driving software development projects through the full development cycle, and maintenance of the code.
- Thrive working in a team but also capable of getting things done remotely and pro-actively.
- Fluent in both spoken and written English.
- Professional drone operations experience or aviation background.
- Drone/RC heli pilot skills.
- General interest in keeping track of and being part of this innovative industry.
What we offer
- A competitive salary.
- Fantastic learning environment. Our people have backgrounds from manned aviation, the UAV and space industries.
- The chance to work on highly unique products in a fast-paced working environment where you will be challenged professionally and can be a key part of the team.
- The opportunity to help shape the future of the commercial UAV industry.
- The opportunity to travel overseas.
If you want to be part of something new and vibrant from the very beginning, of an exciting startup company with a lot of motivated people feel free to send us your CV and a short motivation letter to email@example.com.
We are looking forward to your submission:!